Our adoption process is relatively simple. We require an application and a home visit by one of our dedicated SCBR volunteers prior to adopting one of our English bulldogs.
Here’s how the adoption process works:
- APPLY - Visit our online application OR www.rescuebulldogs.org (if you apply thru this website, please check your email as you’ll need to acknowledge and return the email)
- REVIEW OF APPLICATION - A volunteer will review your application and forward to a volunteer in your area. The volunteer will contact you via email or phone to coordinate a time to visit you and your family in your home.
- HOME VISIT – We need all family members available for the home visit. This gives us all a chance to talk about rescue and we can learn about your expectations for a rescue bulldog. If you have existing pets, it gives us a chance to meet them, too. We also check security of gates, fences and screen doors (if applicable).
- FINDING YOUR BULLY– Assuming your home has been approved; we’ll immediately contact our foster families, describe your situation and look for a bulldog we think fits your home dynamics. We rarely get puppies. Typically, we’ll send you photos and a short bio on a dog we think will work in your situation. If you say ‘yes, we’d like to meet the dog’, we’ll put you in touch with the foster home. You’ll then coordinate a meeting spot to meet the dog. Please keep in mind that not all bulldogs are listed. Sometimes, a dog comes into rescue and is placed in an approved home very quickly. Please be patient during the ‘finding your bulldog’ process. We need to make sure we have the perfect match for you and our rescue bully.
- Southern California Bulldog Rescue is a 100% volunteer non-profit organization. We’ll make every effort to schedule your home visits at a time that is good for you. Please be flexible to our schedule, as well.
- Adoption fees range from $200 to $1,000, depending upon the age of the dog.
- All rescue bullies are spayed/neutered, micro chipped and up-to-date on all shots prior to adoption.
- We very rarely get puppies through the rescue program. If we do rescue puppies, they tend to come in due to problematic medical conditions that require a great deal of personal time and financial commitments to care for them.
- You are giving a homeless dog a second chance. This means having the time and patience to work with social, emotional and behavioral problems. In some cases, a health issue is present. We disclose all information we are given, as we need to make this as smooth a transition for the dog as possible.
- Many rescued Bulldogs don’t get along with other animals and some can’t be placed with small children. If you have children or other animals it may take some time to find just the right dog for you. Please be patient.
- If you’re seeking to obtain a cheap English bulldog, rescue is probably not for you. If you’re looking for a specific color or look of a bulldog, we suggest you buy from a reputable breeder. It is important for all interested parties to understand that our primary commitment is to the dogs who are in our care. We look for the right family to suit our rescue dogs.
- Please do your research prior to applying. Bulldogs are extremely high maintenance dogs. They are indoor dogs; require premium dog food, daily wrinkle cleaning and lots of love.